Transition Planning Toolkit: Scorecard
Transition Planning Scorecard
For companies that are new to the concept of transition planning, we advise starting with our short ‘Getting Started’ assessment to ensure the foundations are in place for board oversight of transition planning.
Stage 1: Assess or re-assess
1. Is the board regularly updated on the company's climate-related risks and opportunities?
2. Do all board members have a sufficient understanding of transition planning and why it's important for the company?
Stage 2: Set your ambition
3. Has the board discussed the implications of climate change and the movement to a low GHG-emissions, climate-resilient economy as part of its corporate strategic planning?
4. Has the board set objectives, priorities and targets through a transition plan to contribute to this low GHG-emissions economy and set a net zero ambition?
Stage 3: Actions
5. Does the board incorporate climate considerations in short and long term decision making?
6. As part of the strategic planning processes are climate-related actions and considerations being applied to operations, and/ or products?
Stage 4: Implement your plan
7. Is the board monitoring progress on these climate-related actions?
8. Are there discussions or preparations regarding future disclosures and reports related to the company's transition planning?
Using the scorecard
For companies ready to go deeper, who wish to develop a transition plan that is fully aligned with the TPT Disclosure Framework we advise completing the full Chapter Zero Transition Planning Scorecard.
Why use the scorecard?
- It will indicate how well you think your board is responding and contributing to the transition.
- It will help you develop an understanding of the TPT transition planning cycle and your role in overseeing this process.
- You can use the results to capture impressions from board members to enable a good discussion.
- It can help identify gaps to be addressed, different viewpoints and challenges to be overcome.
How to use the scorecard?
- To complete the scorecard, you need to answer a total of 20 questions. These are split across the four iterative stages of the TPT Transition Planning Cycle: Assess/re-assess, Set your ambition, Plan your actions, Implement your plan.
- The questions are designed to help you assess how effectively your board is tackling the climate transition.
- Ideally your whole board would complete the scorecard so that you can compare results.
- Once you have completed the scorecard, save the PDF as a new document if you wish to come back to your results later, otherwise your answers will be lost.
The scorecard is not intended to be exhaustive. It is designed to capture and encourage debate in the boardroom.
Download the full Transition Planning Scorecard
Once you have completed the scorecard, save the PDF as a new document if you wish to come back to your results later, otherwise your answers will be lost.Try the Scorecard
Centre for Climate EngagementContributor
LSEG (London Stock Exchange Group)Sponsor
Continue to Part 3 of the Transition Planning Toolkit: Governance CompassGovernance Compass
Transition Planning Toolkit: Briefing
Part 1 of the Transition Planning Toolkit. Companies need to develop a plan for delivering on net zero targets and pledges. High-quality transition plans enable management teams to develop, communicate and implement their climate strategies.
Transition Planning Toolkit: Governance Compass
Part 3 of the Transition Planning Toolkit. Use the ‘Governance Compass’ section in your board committee meetings to ensure that your committee’s work considers, aligns with and supports the company’s Strategic Ambition and transition plan.